To render out zpic files, first you need a Main channel that outputs pic files, and then you have to add a Depth channel and change its output format from zt to zpic. Here’s a short video that shows how.
Here’s the step-by-step:
- In the Render Manager, add a Depth channel (under Render Channels Output, click Add).
- In the Create Framebuffer From Render Channel dialog box, click Depth in the Render Channel list, and then click OK.
- By default, the output format of the new depth channel is zt.
- Select the new depth channel (click that row) and then click Edit.
- In the Output Format list, click Softimage Zpic.
See the wiki page Zpics and the FX Tree for more info zpic files.