This case illustrates a common troubleshooting technique for some install/uninstall problems: deleting the Installer registry key.
Way back when I started support Softimage, this was how we fixed problems like “Uninstall says Softimage already uninstalled”, even though that was not true.
In a recent MotionBuilder case, the customer got this error when he tried to uninstall MotionBuilder 2011:
There was an error reading the registry key SOFTWARE\autodesk\motionbuilder\2011//defaultproductkey.
- In the Registry Editor, find this key:
- Search for MotionBuilder in the Data.
- You should find a DisplayName value under an InstallProperties key.
The full key name will be something like:
- Export the key (as a backup) and then delete it. For example, on machine, I would delete this key:
On your machine, the key name may be different than “83E7ADBE34330A442ACF348F731E5F87”
- Try again to uninstall MotionBuilder.